Thursday, October 14, 2010

Sleep Training a Co-Sleeper

My little loves sleeping <3>

Is there anything more exhausting than sleep training a toddler? I am sure there is but right now it sure doesn't feel like it. Lincoln is having a hard time falling asleep on his own. (Naps and Night time). What do you expect when for 13 months the little guy got to fall asleep nursing, listening to mommy's heartbeat and suckling away? Since weaning Lincoln 5 months ago it sure has been hard. I have listened to advice from many moms. I have googled. I have done my research. I still have not found the magic solution.

"Put him in his crib and let him scream." My experience & thoughts on that approach- After letting him "CIO" (cry it out) I have realized that it takes 1 to 3+ hours for this to finally work. In that time period Lincoln would manage to dirty his diaper, throw up on himself and now not be able to sleep because 1.)he is hungry from puking up his dinner 2.)awake from the commotion of me cleaning up his puke. I'm not letting my baby go to sleep hungry or a mess so... If you start this process around 7:30 or so you should have your kid clean, fed and asleep making horribly sad little whimpering sounds by midnight.
Nobody that gave me advice had to actually sit in my home and listen to this drama unfold so yes... they will tell you "keep on going and it gets easier every night."
Eventually after many nights your sleep deprived mini-me will stop puking in the crib. I just didn't realize it would be because he will soon realize how to escape from the "cage". Now you will find throw up in new places to clean such as the carpet, the bedroom and anything else your poor little kiddo has touched. :(
Oh... don't forget the reactions of the rest of the household! Unless you happen to have a sound proof room this will take a toll on the entire household. From the 2nd grader who can't sleep through the crying to the tired daddy that just pulled a double shift at work. My goodness.
You rub your kids head to soothe him... 2 steps forward 1 step back.
Pick him up because his crying is making you want to cry... 2 steps forward 1 step back.
Consistency I must say is helping.
Scheduling wake up time, nap time and bedtime (and everything in between). I do believe this is huge. What are you supposed to do if you have a life though? Do you miss your older son's Tball game because it's nap time? Skip out on a family member's birthday because 7:30 is bath and bed time? What if your like me and you just can't follow a schedule very well? Okay really who can blame me? Last minute (decaf though regular is needed) coffee meet ups are fun! Ya know, sometimes the 10 minutes I planned to spend in TJmaxx somehow turned into 2 hours.
Life happens.
I will admit that there has been nights where my pregnant body just can't stay awake to listen to him cry himself to sleep safely. Those nights I will rub his little head or cuddle with him until he finally falls asleep. One step forward... 10 steps back. I really hope he doesn't cry himself to sleep in his college dorm. :/
I keep thinking that with my next baby I will nurse sitting up and then tuck my groggy little love in so he can learn to be a self soother and fall asleep without a problem. However... I nursed Lincoln while I was asleep and I don't know how some of you mommas wake up to do that.
Anyway, in a perfect world my kids will all sleep through the night. The funny thing about when that finally happens, the quiet will probably wake me up and I will have to check them all to make sure they are all okay.
sigh... :)

No comments:

Post a Comment